Sunday, October 29, 2017

Metamorphosis: The Alien Factor (1990)

October Challenge: Day 29

From the archives of my Draft folder comes a film I watched over a year ago and was waiting for a special occasion to finally post. The day has come.

As my first interview and my final October Challenge movie review for the month, I present the 1990 Metamorphosis: The Alien Factor!

This is a very special post because I watched this film with our friend who worked on the film! Even more special - he had not see the full thing until he watched it at our place!

This is a downright fun movie. Cheesy goodness fun. Scientific experiments - what could possibly go wrong in a remote and classified facility...The effects are incredibly entertaining, effective, and original, and it's sure to entertain a group gathering movie night. Pairs with pizza, beer, and strap in for a fun time.



Horror Habit: Hello, David! Thanks for joining us! I hope you like the tacos we just whipped up for this special event (hard shells were on sale). What is the first memory that pops into mind when you think back on your work with this movie?

David: It was the first time I got to mix up buckets of blood, gore, and slime. Then clean it up and do it all over again! We're in a warehouse - and I'm thinking to myself that we're throwing all this syrup around - we're going to be dealing with RATS. Those things never happened, thank goodness. It was also the first SciFi lab I ever got to build. With a background in theater and growing up with horror movies, it was a very fun progression for me. I started making movies in the 5th grade - and to work on this film was an incredibly satisfying feeling. I was certainly enjoying myself. What I loved most was the total collaboration with everyone. Making movies is fun, making horror movies is more fun.

Horror Habit: So you were the Lead Carpenter on this film - correct? Is there a funny story you can legally share with us?

David: Well, we came in one day (winter?) and a pipe had broken and the whole set was flooded. So here we had this really great "lab" floor that now turned into waves. Our shooting schedule was coming to an end so we had to cut slits into the floor and make it as smooth as possible again. Now that I think about it, I wouldn't say that was funny, but there were disasters on the set that you can laugh about now - they weren't funny at the time.

In the art department we had so many people creative people - they were so fun to work with. Working here was usually a cheerful endeavor and so there were jokes all the time. Even with the disasters we had a fun, joking time all the time. On top of it all, we got paid to make a horror flick - whats not fun about that?

Horror Habit: By the way, thanks again for participating in Horror Habit's very first interview. Is there anything special we should expect or be prepared for with this movie?

David: The monster here - it was scandalized in a very weird way. There are things that shoot out of the monster that look like Man Eating Vaginas.

Horror Habit: Finally, do you have any thoughts on what type of audience this movie is geared towards?

David: Well, anyone who loves 80's horror. We had people who worked on The Stuff previously, so we were working on that ascetic at the time. We had no illusions that it wouldn't be anything more than B movie fun.

Thanks, David!! Thanks for coming on over to our crazy little hobbit hole of an apartment and I look forward to watching more horror films with you!

Now, check out this fantastic trailer and use the Find It! Watch It! links on Horror Habit's side bar to locate where else you can find this outrageously fun feature.

1 comment:

  1. Jolie, I can’t believe nobody had anything to say about this masterpiece. Also, thanks for the tacos! They paired well with the film, rather than a slimy bowl of gumbo! Actually, Gumbo is a great name for the variety of monster iterations in the movie!

    ReplyDelete