Saturday, October 29, 2016

Scanners (1981)

October Challenge Day 27:

Today was a day to relax and dry off (my clothes were still wet from the previous day's downpour), and curl up on the couch to a highly recommended classic: Scanners


I had a really difficult time getting excited about this film, for reasons I couldn't pinpoint. As much as a read the description, I was having a difficult time understanding what this movie is really about or how it could be considered horror. Which is a little funny now since the entire film is about the power of the mind!!

In any case, my assumptions were wrong entirely. Very soon into the film there is a head explosion scene that is (I'm gonna say, I'm Gonna Say IT!): Mind Blowing.

I sat up on the couch and was all: OH MAN! My Husband jerked around from the computer and that's when we became fully involved with this mental nightmare. 

This is certainly a horror show, and it's surprisingly gruesome at times (particularly, in good ol' Cronenberg fashion, at the very end).

With a very unique story line and an even more brilliant plot twist, this is a well made psychological and body horror show that will make you question your vitamin intake.... That said, as great of a horror show that this is, it didn't overpower the magic of a warm blanket and cozy couch. I fell asleep in the last 30 minutes and MISSED some of the most important scenes. I woke up during the credits and had to re-watch it even though it was past my bedtime. I'm so glad I did.

Cronenberg films often leave me feeling cold and helpless by the end, and this one is no exception.

Pairs with a small, quiet group of researchers in the medical field, or best yet: alone on a cold and rainy night. Pairs with vitamin supplements, fast food or dainty meat and cheese plates.

I rented this movie from my local video store (Rain City Video). Use the links under Find It. Watch It. on Horror Habit's sidebar to see where else you can find this highly disturbing feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment