Sunday, October 30, 2016

Memento Mori (1999)

October Challenge Day 30:

Memento Mori has been suggested to me several times for over 10 years. I rented it last week - didn't get to it so I had to re-rent it again - and here I am, at the 12th hour, with this one remaining film to see this month, and I STILL haven't seen it!!

Right now my time is completely absorbed in the Cubs vs Cleveland World Series baseball game. Mark this one down for the books! This the first time, and probably the only time that a baseball game will trump a horror movie in my October Challenge.

Never fear, I'll get to this film either later tonight or, quite likely, tomorrow. Stay tuned for this super creepy South Korean classic ...


*Update! Several days later ....*

Well, this turned out very differently than I was expecting, but the creepy water remained. What is it about Asian horror and WATER?

I would call this more of an art house ghost story. It's sad, it's complicated, it's a love story and it's not. It took me quite a bit of time to *get* this film. At first I just sat there, trying to piece the story together, gave up, and it was at that time I was finally able to appreciate (and understand) the story unfolding.

Chilling and sad, this is a film to watch with your best friend - maybe - unless you're fighting at the moment, then just watch it alone. Pairs with school lunches, water, and then some more water.

I rented this movie from my local video store (Rain City Video). Use the links under Find It. Watch It. on Horror Habit's sidebar to see where else you can find this cold and calculating art house feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment