Saturday, October 15, 2016

Clown (2014)

October Challenge Day 15:

Well, we packed the cupboards, hoarded the water, and hunkered down for what we were expecting to be a record-breaking storm for the Pacific Northwest. Don't get me wrong, some parts were hit very hard - a tornado hit the Oregon coast for crying out loud! - but our little home in Seattle remained free of any sign of chaos.

This didn't stop me from hunkering down, hiding from the world, and watching horror movies all day though.

I'll get to the other movies soon, but I wanted to take a moment and focus on Clown. I can't think of a time when clowns are not at least a little creepy - especially since the streets of this nation are currently under a clownocalypse siege.


I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting from this film, but it turned into a gortastic freak fest within 30 minutes. This fast-paced creature feature absolutely blew me away - because I know the storm certainly didn't.

What struck me most about this film is its humor. And by that I mean the kind of humor that comes from the most cynical, driest part of your gut. The Ha-Has that make you a little shocked you even Ha-Haed. Some might call it dark humor but it's deeper than that - it's an odd combination of shock, horror, Schadenfreude, cringe binge, and yes, a few chuckles. It's also incredibly gross. Very gross. There's a few torturesk scenes where even I kindasorta turned my head and curled up into the chair.

This one is some great horror, folks. 

Great effects, and even more outrageous scenes (scary evil dog, rainbow clown blood), this is a fantastic horror film for proud nerds and anyone who can't look away from a jolly fellow's living nightmare.

This is not a campy film for casual horror viewers, it's much more suited for the horror fans that need a little break from Martyrs or The Audition. Big pants, perhaps even over-sized, horror.

A great film for a group, but you might want to eat at least 45 minutes before viewing. Not exactly 'suited' for parents who lack a very, very, very dark sense of humor. Parents with only a very, very dark sense of humor *may* find it entertaining. Wait, you know what, scratch all that. Parents: enter at your own risk.

Pairs with cake, pancakes, cotton candy, and anything Icelandic.

I rented this movie from my local video store (Rain City Video). Use the links under Find It. Watch It. on Horror Habit's sidebar to see where else you can find this devilishly fine feater.

No comments:

Post a Comment