Saturday, October 1, 2016

50 Horror Movies You May Have Missed (vol. 2)

Welcome to the second annual mega list of movies you may have missed! Hurrah for more movies, movies and lists!

So, without further ado and to welcome in this year's October Challenge, I present:

50 Horror Movies You May Have Missed (vol. 2)
Because there will be more. Oh yes, there will be more.


A Bucket of Blood (1959)
A Bucket of Blood: A very witty and razor sharp slam on the modern art community. Striking, at times heartbreakingly brutal, but all sorts of fun for anyone looking for a very original horror story. Paris with wine and espressos. You can read my more detailed review here.

Absentia (2011)

Absentia: Brilliantly desolate, sad, and yet vibrantly unique in both story telling and cinematography. To my astonishment it manages to intertwine the ol' troll under the bridge story with the horror of missing persons. Watch on a dark and lonely night, pairs with cold soup and tea.



Afflicted (2013)
Afflicted: Mind. BLOWN. A fresh, fast and furious found footage creature feature that change the way you feel about found footage films. This movie completely engrossed all my faculties. It essentially took me on a breathtaking thrill ride I'm still reeling from. Watch with a best friend right before going on that road trip. Pairs with beer, pizza.

American Gothic (1988)
American Gothic: At first glance this may appear to be a typical '80s B-movie horror story, but it's actually a really disturbing little film that gives new meaning to the word: insane. Quirky, alarming, and atmospheric this is a must see for anyone looking for new level '80s horror. Watch alone, decide later if watching this in a group is right for you. Pairs with sad sandwiches and odd tasting water.

And Now The Screaming
Starts! (1973)

And Now The Screaming Starts!: There's a lot packed into this little 70's gem: a severed hand, rape, family curses, fabulous costumes, haunted castles, and a wild world of madness and isolation. A Gothic original, this is a great little flick for the late night horror fans. Pairs with family recipe casseroles and stiff drinks.

Asylum (1972)
Asylum: Another Gothic 70's gem! Great soundtrack, jarring short stories, and fun effects - this movie is your answer for diving into the wacky world of "experimental" psychology and unique job interviews. Great for a late night or simply for a mid-afternoon break. Pairs with vodka and anything that was wrapped in butcher paper.
The Bad Seed (1956)

The Bad Seed: It's not often one comes across a movie that was just as good as the book, but this one did it and all without deviating from some very taboo subjects, particularly for the time. A classic evil child story with a shockingly honest look into social insight. Pairs with fruit drinks and baloney sandwiches.

Beloved (1998)

Beloved: Speaking of great books and movies (and evil children), this ghost story absolutely blew me out of the water. Perhaps one of the most disturbing paranormal/love stories I've ever seen. Original, heartbreaking, and edge-of-your-seat, this is an absolutely must see film for every horror fan.

Below (2002)

Below: A ghastly ghostly tale about things that go bump ... in a submarine. Set in WWII and packed with everything a Thriller and Suspense fan wants in a story, this one is sure to curl your toes and feel claustrophobic. Watch in a group on a dark, rainy night. Pairs with water and soup.

The Brood (1979)

The Brood: I know there are probably countless horror fans out there that have this film topping their lists. I, however, was woefully behind. I just recently discovered this nightmare-inducing film only a handful of years ago. Hard to describe and even more bone-chilling than I could relay this is a must see for anyone calling themselves a horror aficionado. You can read my more detailed review here.

Brotherhood of
the Wolf (2001)

Brotherhood of the Wolf: Some might call this your typical action/adventure film. Others might file it away under Drama. I thought it was both: and Frightening! Fast, kick-ass, gory, creature feature fun! I absolutely love this film and I say that very very rarely about French horror. Note: as in all foreign films, do not watch the dubbed over version. You can read my more detailed review here.

City of the Living
Dead (1980)
City of the Living Dead: If you're new to Lucio Fulci then might I recommend starting here. This one is an absolutely fantastic gore fest. With an over-the-top story line and even more over-the-top effects, this film guarantees not to disappoint. Best in late night gatherings with friends. Friends with the strongest stomachs, that is. Pairs with beer, popcorn, and gummy snacks.
Dagon (2001)

Dagon: It's hard to turn an H.P. Lovecraft story into a visual story - but this one did a damn fine job! Dark, dank, and devilishly delightful, this horror story does an excellent job of crawling into your submerged nightmares and creating new ones. Atmospheric and creature feature charged, this film is perfect for a nightly gathering. Preferably friends with a lot of fish tanks. Pairs with fish.

Dark Night of the
Scarecrow (1981)
Dark Night of the Scarecrow: A cold and calculating horror show that might have been aimed for children but ultimately traumatized all of them. Part very sad ghost story and part moralistic drama, this is an emotionally charged film that will leave any viewer either with tears, chills, or both. You can read my more detailed review here
Dark Skies (2013)

Dark Skies: Those looking for a quiet psychological thriller about extraterrestrials should cast their eyes upon this beauty. A creeping thriller that requires your full attention but also filled with tension and heart, this film will taunt you. Pairs with a home-cooked family meal favorite and a glass of whiskey.

Dead Again (1991)
Dead Again: A favorite in our family! This spooky little feature is one for everyone - at least it was for us. A horror drama about murder and reincarnation that is filmed and performed superbly. Tapping into a great big love story, this movie is not one to miss. Pairs with milk, wine, cookies, and steak. Watch in a small quiet group or alone.
Dead Silence (2007)


Dead Silence:A strange, startling, and terrifyingly pretty story about a ventriloquist and his doll. Fast, fantastical, weird, wrong, and oh so lovely, this is a super satisfying horror movie for any individual or group. This film reminded me of the Scary Stories To Tell in the Dark book series. You can read my more detailed review here.
Eyes of the Mothman (2011)

Eyes of the Mothman: This documentary really struck a cord with me. From the depths of research and thought-providing ideas to the chilling tales of every supernatural angle, I found this to be a highly entertaining look into the unexplained. Pairs with a weekend afternoon and a collection of open minds.

Falling Down (1993)
Falling Down: I was introduced to this breathtaking thriller around the age of 14. It terrified me. The heat, the madness, and the meticulously detailed meltdown of a man who is unable to control any of it - let alone himself. I had never seen anything like it, and it still gives me chills just thinking about it. Pairs with lemonade and ice cubes covered in dirt.

The Forgotten One (1989)
The Forgotten One: Another classic in our family, and a slow but intense ghost story about long lost loves. A haunting tale in every way (cinematography, dialog, even the ghost herself), I fell madly in love with it as a tender young teen and I haven't yet fallen out. You can read my more detailed review here.

The Gate (1987)

The Gate: Speaking of films you fell in love with as a child - here's a classic for so many others! This too was one of my introductions to horror films. With fantastic special effects, a shockingly dark tale, and characters you'll never forget this is a must see for horror fans of any age. Pairs with your favorite childhood snack.
Ghost story of Broken
Dishes as Bancho
Mansion (1957)


Ghost Story of Broken Dishes at Bancho Mansion: A brutal and ancient tale of a woman wronged and the revenge she seeks in the afterlife. This real life legend has inspired other heart-stopping films such as The Ring. Pairs with anything you can eat on a small plate that has a crack or a chip. Watch alone.

Grave Encounters (2011)

Grave Encounters: A genuinely frightening found footage film that knows how to generate the jump scares while parading just a hint of sarcasm. This is a fun and action packed feature that just screams for pizza and a movie night with friends. Or watch alone, if you dare.


The Haint (2001)
The Haint: This is the first horror comedy movie/play I've ever seen and it knocked my socks off. Brilliantly performed by one man on stage, his story takes you to some drama unfolding in a small Southern town trying to deal with their local spook. You can read my more detailed review here.

High Spirits (1988)
High Spirits: A spooky comedy about love and domestic violence. I never thought I would say that about a film (or about anything, for that matter) but this movie pulled it off somehow! Another classic from my childhood and I recommend seeing at least once.

Hrabe Drakula (1971)
Hrabe Drakula: A striking retelling of the classic Dracula story. This made-for-TV Czech film grabbed me from the opening scenes and carried me along with jaw-dropping speed and efficiency. There are certain scenes here I'll never forget. Watch alone or in a small quiet group, pairs with potatoes and rich dark wine.

Jenifer (2005)
Jenifer: Here's one from the Masters of Horror collection that really shook me. Suppose I shouldn't be surprised, it's a Dario Argento film! Exploitative, boundary-crossing, and completely unnerving, this film is one to be seen to be believed. Pairs with fast food that's been sitting in the back seat of a car for a week.

Lake Mungo (2008)
Lake Mungo: This film left me with more questions than answers by the end, and that's partially why I enjoyed it so much. Haunting, raw, original, and honest this movie will creep under your skin and never leave. You can read my more detailed review here.

The Last Will and
Testament of Rosalind
Leigh (2012)
The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh: A chilling and heartbreaking story about love, faith, and family. In all, this is a gorgeous film that opens up new levels of integrating religion with horror. There's also a creature here that scared the pants off  me. You can read my more detailed review here.

Late Phases (2014)
Late Phases: A rare gem in the werewolf movie world. Original, heartfelt, but also very much a violent and gory werewolf film, I found this movie thoroughly enjoyable. You can read my more detailed review here.


The Legend of Hell
House (1973)
The Legend of Hell House: Easily one of my favorites following the Shirley Jackson story, The Haunting of Hill House. Superb sound effects and jarring action, this is a perfect film for a dark rainy day alone. Pairs with food in wooden bowls, water.

Magic (1978)
Magic: Another startling little tale about the perils of anyone who gets in-between a ventriloquist and his doll. Dark, moody, and full of suspense, this completely unsettling feature will leave you with cold sweats. You can read my more detailed review here.


May (2002)
May: Here's a dark comedy that will tug at the heart strings while ripping limbs apart. I've only seen this film once but when given the chance I'll watch it again, and probably again. Gory, sweet, alarming, and downright disturbing, this is a must see. Pairs with frosted cookies and soda.

Monster Dog (1984)
Monster Dog: A super fun joy ride through Spain-infested werewolf land. Bonus: Alice Cooper is your guide. Outrageous and over-the-top, watch with friends and comfort food. You can read my more detailed review here.


Open Water (2003)
Open Water: This film, simply put, is a panic attack ride through everyone's worst nightmare. Worst still, it's based on actual events. If Jaws didn't already get this message across then this one will: you don't go in the shark's house - you get ate! You can read my more detailed review here.

Orca (1977)
Orca: Sticking with the horrors of the water theme, here's an usual creature feature that is both B-level and not. This film is a curious mix of terrifying scenes and strange behavior. In all there are scenes here that can't be unseen. You can read my more detailed review here.

Pin (1988)
Pin (1988): It took me some time to truly appreciate this psychological thriller. I kept getting hung up on how the story line was conceived (kid's imaginary best friend is an anatomy doll), but in the end I just accepted that this is one messed up, sad, frightening film. To be seen at least once, alone, and with a box of vanilla wafers.

The Red House (1947)
The Red House: A film that crossed several taboo topics at the time, this story is sure to linger long in the memory banks. It did for me, I saw it once nearly 20  years ago and it still haunts me. Perfect for a Wintry afternoon alone or a cool Summer night. Pairs with anything farm fresh, milk, and an ice cold beer.

Rumpelstiltskin (1995)
Rumpelstiltskin: Campy, cheesy, gory creature feature that might just be a step-up from Leprechaun. Or simply turn these two into a double feature movie night for all to enjoy! Most everyone has heard of Leprechaun, but I think Rumpelstiltskin is a tad more enjoyable. Pairs with a lot of booze and anything messy.

The Screaming Skull (1958)
The Screaming Skull: This movie hasn't received the respect it deserves. It's a lonely, devilish little tale that holds back nothing when it comes to marital issues. A really great choice for anyone looking to curl up to a black and white classic right before bed. Pairs with coffee, a tall cool glass of water, or a very dirty martini.

Session 9 (2001)

Session 9 (2001): A film I highly, highly recommend but it might take a couple views to appreciate fully. With an enrapturing atmosphere and a fear-inducing dialog, this film quickly won my heart over. Best seen alone or with a best friend you can hug afterwards. Pairs with something that will warm chilled bones.

Sisters (1973)

Sisters: This film brilliantly and blatantly calls out racism, sexism, and a lack of morals in science, while also drawing you into the nightmares of them all. A highly unusual horror film but also a classic. Creepy, strange, surreal, and unfriendly, this is a feature for horror fans looking for a new level. Pairs with cake and fancy fruity drinks.

The Sound of Horror (1966)

The Sound of Horror: Here's a striking film that at first glance appears to be a complete waste of time. No, don't be fooled. This is not your typical 1960's creature feature. Get 10 minutes in and you'll be amazed at the originality and, of course, the sound effects. Pairs with your favorite Mediterranean dish, watch with those who have hearing issues.

Spider Baby (1967)

Spider Baby: I'm never quiet sure how known this fantastic feature is in the horror community - I certainly don't see it discussed enough! Perhaps one of my most favorite, and quiet possibly the 'maddest story ever told', this movie is absolutely one of a kind. You can read my more detailed review here.

To The Devil a
Daughter (1976)

To The Devil a Daughter: Although not my most favorite film, it certainly is something to experience! I saw this once and that's kinda sorta all I need. There are graphic scenes I'd rather not experience again any time soon. In short, it's a marvel of religious horror. You can read my  more detailed review here.

Tormented (1960)

Tormented: I feel as if I've been standing up for this film since I first discovered it years ago - I just don't see it receiving a lot of the creepy credit it deserves. A revenge ghost story with delightfully gaudy charm. You can read my more detailed review here.
Tourist Trap (1979)

Tourist Trap: I wasn't always so nice to this movie - it took me a couple viewings before I learned how to fully appreciate this odd little beauty. Unnatural, unnerving, complicated, and twisted. This is one for the group on a Saturday night. You can read my more detailed review here.

Trilogy of Terror (1975)
Trilogy of Terror: It's a tossup which one I liked better - this one or Trilogy of Terror 2. Either way, start with this one. Hilarious and horrific, this is a Karen Black marathon no one should miss. You can read my more detailed review here

The Witches (1990)
The Witches: What a terrifying film, particularly when seeing in the theater as a tween... What stuck with me most were the special effects. They pretty much ensured the nightmares would stick around for a while. Fantastic for the whole family if you're all a little adorably weird.


Zombies of Mass
Destruction (2009)
Zombies of Mass Destruction (2009): I might be a little more partial to this film than some but that's because not only did I love the film but my brother also worked on it. Additionally, I have friends who were extras! A powerhouse of political satire, this is one for all fans of witty zombie films.

No comments:

Post a Comment