Thursday, December 4, 2014

My Ghost Story (Television Show, 2010)

Not much in the realm of paranormal movies or shows actually *scare* me. Startle me, spook me, give me chills, keep me awake for a while at night - yes. But scare me, very few.

So imagine my surprise at finding a television show from the Biography Channel moved to Lifetime that actually had me pull the bed covers up to my face and fear going to sleep because: straight up scary ghosts.

And I love ghost stories. LOVE THEM. Place me in one of those human hamster ball things, fill them full of nothing but a ton of ghost stories in every format, and I'll be entertained for days - if not weeks, depending on my food and water source. But My Ghost Story is a little something different, it has a sudden and startling ka-pow that you simply don't want to believe because sanity.

Not every episode is an earth shaker, and there are still plenty of episodes that even devout paranormal believers might roll their eyes to, but every once in a while there is a gem that will knock you right out of your socks.

It should come as no surprise that if you are not a paranormal fan or believer then this show might bore you. Or or or! It could become your weeknight comedy chill-out time instead of, I don't know, Three And A Half Men, or something...

My Ghost Story bills its self as a television show staring real people sitting down to a camera and sharing their personnel paranormal experiences - complete with evidence to prove their experiences! The evidence is the scariest part of this entire show, actually. For reals.

I thoroughly enjoy this show not because it proves anything - convincing people via TV of the existence of ghosts is a pointless and fruitless endeavor - I'm watching it because it's brilliant entertainment. Every story is fresh and new, you sort of want hug all those who shared their story, episodes are quick and dirty, you can not predict the ending 99.9 percent of the time, and it has wonderfully random little jolts of thrill no matter your belief.

I love this show. Love it's cheesy reenactment moments. it's simple and straightforward look into the controversial, it's lack of judgement on the storyteller, and that it has so many bad ass crazy videos. There, that's about it - oh and it's sometimes completely and totally terrifying.

That all said! I already believe in the supernatural. I don't need no convincin'. Straight up. I've got enough personal stories to send chills up the spines of my friends and family for the rest of my life already. And yet, I also have no energy to convince others of the paranormal, not my job. So, although my belief system may play a strong role in my devotion to this show, I also just love the storytelling.

And now, another plug: FOR PARANORMAL FANS

If you are as addicted to ghost stories as I am, then I highly recommend checking out Lex Wahl's Anything Ghost show: http://anythingghost.libsyn.com/

Perhaps the very best collection of ghost stories from around the world. This podcast is a beautiful and intimate show filled with nothing but people (sometimes) timidly sharing their stories to an awesome guy who reads their words to the world. No additional commentary, no ideas, no sharing of thoughts - just the world sharing their supernatural story one at a time. A World Wide Web campfire.

It's something to experience - I'll just leave it at that.

I've been looking for a way to promote Anything Ghost here for a while now, and I couldn't think of a better movie/TV show than My Ghost Story.

And that about ties it up for this post, folks.

Turn off all the lights, get yourself settled into the couch for a viewing of some crazy CRAZY ghost stories and videos, or curl up next to the computer speakers and prepare to have your spine chilled till morning...

Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment