Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Wolfen (1981)

I'm still sick!

Man, it sucks. Getting eaten by a werewolf sucks too - more, even. So I really shouldn't complain. But still, I feel the need to.

I didn't end up renting enough films from Rain City Video this last week so I'm watching a Netflix disk that has been sitting next to the TV for over a month now. Wolfen. I've been told I should really like it, that means a lot since it takes a lot for me to like werewolf films (with so many bad ones out there...).


Fluids are piled high in front of me, sick bed is covered in blankets - let's get this wolf ride going. See you after the show.

Update:

I do love me a good political horror movie. Especially when you can ask yourself questions during the show, such as:

"Who or what is the real monster here?"
"What's worse, killing for survival or killing for power - and where is the line or who decides?"
"Is it wrong to live in luxury when the luxury is acquired through the very hard work of taking advantage of disadvantage people under the guise of helping them, and why?"
"Scare tactics - why so many?"
"Bulldozing down a run-down community in order to build luxury condos - why does that piss me off so much?"

I currently live in what was once a very blue-collar neighborhood but is quickly being torn down to make way for condos and luxury apartments. Friends and neighbors are being pushed out of their affordable (and long lived in) homes. Turn-of-the-century farm and craftsman houses are being demolished to make away for tiny, crappy multiplex living spaces. It's really just a matter of time before I'm out too. Would I cry my eyes out if a pack of werewolves began taking out property executives? [taps chin]. Maaaaaaayyyybbeee.

But I think that's the real horror of this movie. The continual fight for property, living space, power, retention of ways (in and for nature, communities, nations, and city dwellers) - in essence, survival. Nasty business.

This is a great story and a very neat movie. I peed my pants a little seeing all the beautiful buildings - even if they were run-down. I have a soft, delicate spot for abandoned buildings. The Twin Towers were seen throughout the film, making it unintentionally that much more haunting.

Highly recommend this film, especially if you are interested in ethics, property management, cultural assimilation, and abandoned old buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment