Thursday, October 31, 2013

Happy Halloween! Rebecca (1940) and Donnie Darko (2001)

Say what you say? What do these two movies have in common to account for them both being in one post, you ask? Nothing, besides the fact that I couldn't decide which movie should be the last October Challenge Happy Halloween! post. So there you go. It's my blog, I do what I want.

So now that midnight is approaching, Halloween is reaching its creepiest time, and you're sitting at home wondering what to watch next. Well, I'm sure you want to watch something good, right? Something much admired and respected? Something that will spook you - but not too much because you still have to get some sleep before work in the morning? Well then I have two picks for you!

The first: Donnie Darko.


What a film! When I first watched it, I was still neck deep in my David Lynch movie marathon phase and I STILL just about jumped from my seat a couple times, cried a little, and finally about fell out of my chair by the end. I would like to call this one a philosophical horror movie. It could also be a drama buuuuut, no, I think it's more of a horror movie. The bunny costume alone will git ya good. Your mind will get a little twisted, your heart will break a bit, and you'll sit for a good long while afterwards wondering what in the world just happened.

I love this film. Love it. It's my feel good food. My warm bath with Epsom salts. My banned book from the high school library. It's my Donnie Darko. I've not seen anything quite like this film, and I don't expect to for a good long while.

The second: Rebecca.


Oh! Rebecca! The book is wonderful, I gobbled it up like ice cream - until it hurt my head and had to breath through my nose for a while. For those of you not exactly in the mood for horror or ghosts but desire something like that then this is the movie for you! It's a 1940s classic and Hitchcock directed it. That's all you really need to know.

This dark and spooky tale will take you down sordid paths and introduce you to some very spooky people. But I don't think it will give you nightmares, just the good old fashioned chills. And because I love you all so much - here is the entire movie. I present to you, Rebecca:


Happy Halloween, folks! See you all soon and sleep tight!


No comments:

Post a Comment