Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Dead Ringers (1998)

I was drawn to Dead Ringers because of Stewart and Cyril Marcus, a saga from which this movie is based upon. These are two successful gynecologists, there is an addiction to drugs, and both found dead in their shared home.


Terribly sad story.

For anyone who has a loved one with a life-threatening addiction, this story is even more chilling and haunting. And that is why I choose to watch it today. I have a loved one with a life-threatening addiction, and there's not a damn thing I can do about it. So I've decided to throw in a towel for the evening, order some pizza, and watch someone else suffer for a little while.

I'm sure there's a German psychological term for what I'm doing, and I'm pretty sure it goes well with roasted garlic and sun dried tomatoes.

So, here we go. I may actually not like this award winning film, will probably will cry, and I'm pretty sure I won't find any answers. But at least there is this moment of escape and I think it will be a mighty fine horror film.

See you after the show:

This was an incredibly difficult movie for me to watch. See also: knowing first-hand what it's like to watch someone kill themselves with an addition.

This is a horror movie particularly for those who have watched their loved ones suffer, more so than the sufferer. For anyone who has not loved an addict or was an addict themselves, this movie might just make you kinda sad (shrug and move on). For anyone with a similar experience to mine, you'll likely ball your eyes out and suffer from some post-traumatic stress from the images, dialog, and knowledge of how this story (and so many others like it) end.

This is a terribly sad, real-life horror story that so many people experience - Hollywoodized or not. Peace to all those that suffer out there. Peace and love.


No comments:

Post a Comment