Thursday, October 10, 2013

Audrey Rose (1977)

Well, nothing combats the brisk, cool October air when you're feeling sicky like curling up with a nice cup of tea to a good old fashioned tale of possession.

Audrey Rose has been tempting me for quite some time now. I've been hesitant to watch it in fear that it will be something like a pale Rosemary's Baby knock-off or tag-along. I quite frankly don't have the energy to be disappointed like that - not when I could be watching something awesome like Rosemary's Baby. Or sleeping.


But ultimately, I feel it's time to get a move on watching this one as I finally suspect I might be pleasantly surprised, and it seems like a good one to watch for this year's October Challenge. 

So without further ado, let's get started on Audrey Rose. See you after the show!

Update:

What a profoundly sad movie, and not at all related to Rosemary's Baby. I was wrong!

That said, when you think of possession - in a movie or otherwise sense - you often think of a 'bad' possession, something intending to do harm to the host. That is not the case with Audrey Rose. This is a moving, scary film that is hard to watch because people's hearts are profoundly hurting, not because of evil spirits. This is also a movie about healing after the loss of a child. If you choose to watch it, prepare to be a little sad by the end.

I highly recommend adding this film to your 1960s-1970s Movies Based On Books About Possessed Children marathon you've always wanted to do. With Audrey Rose, I suggest the following:

The Other
The Innocents
The Exorcist

...I'm sure I have more, but I can't think of them at the moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment