Thursday, September 19, 2013

Demons (1985)

When I first began the film I thought it might be a slightly hilarious movie about little puppet/claymation demons that terrorized a family. I was actually looking forward to that type of story.

Obviously, I didn't do my research first and I was very, very wrong.


Demons is about people who turn into demons while at a movie theater. Did not see that coming, good on you writer, Dario Argento.

This is one of the grossest films I've seen in a long time. Side-splittingly-funny-cringe-face gross. This is not a film for the brain, however. Leave your brain at the door and just sit back and let your eyes do all the work.

I kept thinking this would be a good movie to have playing on an old television set in the background of another horror movie. Preferably during a late night scene when a character is suffering a bought of insomnia following a nasty break-up, and doesn't notice the menace creeping up behind them. Demons would be a good movie for that.

Demons would also be a very excellent film for late night movie gathering with friends. Preferably rowdy, drunk friends who like to throw crinkled beer cans, popcorn, and random pieces of paper at television sets.

The ending surprised me quite a bit, and it's perfect for this epic gore fest.

I really don't have much else to say about this piece. It's pretty painful to watch for multiple reasons, but that's also what makes it fun. I ask that you don't make the mistake I did by anticipating anything from this film. It's a mess all over place, just the way it was intended.

2 comments:

  1. Man, I loved this one. You're right, there were some cool surprises and it's all about the visuals. I'm okay with that. The sequel is good too if you haven't seen it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aaron! No, I haven't seen the sequel yet but I'll keep and eye out for it! :)

      Delete