Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh (2012)

Oh man!

What Just Happened?!

I'm not sure either but I'm going to have nightmares tonight - that and probably cry myself to sleep.


The Last Will and Testament of Rosalind Leigh is not getting the attention it deserves right now. I suspect it may have something to do with finding the target audience. This is a straight up scary movie that will likely make you cry, much like The Orphanage but different. It's difficult to attract the attention of movie fans with a description like "...oh yeah, it's scary alright, but it's pretty sad. Like, you'll need to call your Mom and tell her you love her while you're curled up in a corner crying kinda sad".

It seems to me that with a unique horror genre like this one, the people that will first gravitate to it will not fully appreciate the depth of the story line. They are expecting monsters, ghosts and jolts (which you get), but probably not enough of it and instead only focus on how much the sadness bored them and how little is explained directly. I'm here to help clear things up a bit.

Step aside negative nancy know-it-alls, this film is not for you, go back to Saw IV or Human Centipede (Note, I've not yet seen Saw IV or Human Centipede... I'm simply not interested yet ... let's leave it at that). If you enjoy watching a movie about the layering of interpersonal horror, the darkness of regret and loneliness, and the conflict that comes with the attempts to put pieces of a life back together then I highly recommend this film.

Also, if monsters scare you (they scare the BEEP out of me) then this film will also probably make you poop your pants a little. I'm serious. I'm leaving all the lights on tonight [washing machine hits rinse cycle in the background].

This is a gorgeous film that opens up a new level of integrating religion with horror. It also beautifully connects family drama with things that lick your face in your sleep. No joke. Licking. The. Face. The movie went there  - it's messed up and straight up horrifying.

I'm going to watch happy things for a little while now, but know that this movie is so dark and the environment so unique that you may not know your way around right away. Give it a moment. Also, before turning on the film, get yourself nestled into a nice warm, safe spot. Grab your favorite feel good beverage and food (I chose a pillowed covered couch and a dinner of white wine with pasta and salad), watch with few interruptions, and prepare yourself of a gamut of emotions.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see we scared you and thanks for the recommendation. If you do leave all the lights on, don't "Close your eyes!"
    Mitch Markowitz aka the voice of the Communications Coach in the film.

    ReplyDelete