Thursday, May 2, 2013

Society (1989)

Things get started off real good in this 1989 Brian Yunza film with a pretty dynamite DVD menu.  I put the DVD in and got sidetracked, so it ended up playing in a loop for like 15 minutes.  Last time that happened to me (Top Gun), I came to with a .45 in my hand about ready to blow my brains out.  Since that didn't happen with Society, I'll call it a win.

Mullets will never be accepted in...
This little horror nugget is about young Billy Whitney, a seemingly popular, yet somewhat disturbed student at a Beverly Hills high school.  He's always seemed to have a rocky relationship with his parents and sister, and he slowly picks up clues pointing towards some bizarre history in not just his family, but society as well.  

Let me just get this right out of the way: this movie doesn't make a goddamned lick of sense.  I mean, it moves along from A to B just fine, but when all is said and done, this thing just not playing with a full deck.  But none of that really matters because, holy smokes, this ending is a real doozy.  I'm not going to go into details, but lets just say, it gives David Cronenberg, The Thing, and Re-Animator a run for their money.  You're just going to have to rend it to find out what exactly 'shunting' is.

Not a whole lot else to say about this movie.  The first act is pretty generic, the second act is kind of boring (save for a few creepy moments and some fine nude acting by love interest), and a out of this world, weird, sick, fascinating ending that mostly makes up for the rest.  

If your a fan of those semi-cheapie 80's effects horror films, forgotten little gems, and mullets, I would recommend checking this movie out.

1 comment: