Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Wake Wood (2010)

Work nicely suggested I go home today. I used up all my co-worker's Kleenex, rolled around the office as a giant blob of phlegm, and tried to act and sound normal but was fooling no one.

So... back to the health tea, soup, couch time - and horror movies. There are worse things in life...

This time, I'm turning to my Netflix Instant Queue for: Wake Wood. This is a 2011 Irish film that has received mixed reviews, from what I can see. The plot revolves around mourning parents who get a chance to spend some time with their deceased young daughter. I'm sure this will not be a heart warmer, and I suspect it will not be a hair raiser. Then again! I've been wrong before. Still, the plot is already very sad to me.

My husband is 'shoveling' me (his words, I assuming he's referring my mass of phlegminess) into bed, and I'm sneaking the lap top in with me. See you after the show!

Update:

This film is not bad, not bad at all. There were cheeky moments, and times where the editing office may have made one too many cuts, but over all I found it very entertaining, quite disturbing.

It felt like a little mix of opposite-day-Wicker Man and before-the-ground-turned-sour-Pet Semetary. And although this was a rather sad film in the beginning, by the end it was pretty full on horror. It was more bloody and less psychological than I expected. The characters were interesting but many still poked me with the "Why Did You Do That - What Are You Thinking?!" stick.

Absolutely not a good film for anyone who has lost a child. No. Really good film for anyone who likes The Wicker Man, Pet Semetary, and evil children movies.

Suggested pairing, ah...eh...you might not want to eat during this film, actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment