Sunday, December 30, 2012

Quills (2000)

I first saw this film when I had nothing better to do than watch movies. Okay, so maybe not much has changed really except now I can drink beer and watch movies.

What I really mean to say is that when I first saw this movie, I was a fairly recent transplant to the city from the country, just turned 21, and was still navigating the social structures of adulthood. So when I saw Quills, I walked home in a bit of a daze. I had never heard of the Marquis de Sade before and I could only picture Kate Winslet on the Titanic.


The New York Times called this movie "Wickedly funny and very sexy". Put the pipe down New York Times, this movie is neither wickedly funny or sexy - it is horrific! Granted, it is a stunning film with great acting, heartbreaking scenery, and mind boggling dilemmas, what this movie is not is funny or sexy. It is a horror story, and a good one, on many levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment