Sunday, October 21, 2012

Mirrors (2008)

It's official. I've seen too many horror movies.

I woke up last night around 3:00 AM and couldn't get back to sleep. So as not to wake my husband, I wandered into the living room to watch some awful television. As I was adjusting the volume of the chosen channel (some 1940's film) with the remote, my TV screen pivoted on the the stand about 1/2 an inch away from me. All by itself.

As I said in an earlier post: "Timing can be hilarious" - right as I watched my entire television screen move on it's own, a classy dame in the movie said "What is it - it looks like you've just seen a ghost".

Once my blood returned to it's rightful place, I calmly moved the TV back to it's rightful place, ran to the bedroom and woke my husband up.

Hard to say what was happening there. But I'll be sure to check myself before I wreck myself in the future when I start bragging about how much the supernatural doesn't frighten me.

After 'the incident' I hid under my covers.

But that won't stop me from watching another scary movie tonight! The chosen film is the unrated version of Mirrors.


No suggested pairing tonight. I'm still hiding under the covers.

Update:
Perhaps I shouldn't have been working on a book proposal during the entire movie...

It was alright, had interesting ideas, but I didn't find it all that engaging. Again, please keep in mind that I was already focused on something else.
I also found it incredibly gruesome - but only for gruesome's sake and not to enhance the scary qualities of the story. Note - I was watching the unrated, "too frightening for the theaters" version.

I'm  a strong believer that a story doesn't have to be gory to be terrifying (I think some of the best ones are not), although I don't  mind some gore if it's used wisely. That said, I think over-the-top gore can be entertaining if watched with a large group of people where, "Oh- oh no, oh Hell no!" is echoed unanimously, followed by laughter and advice is strongly given to all characters in the film. I put Mirrors in that category.

No comments:

Post a Comment